Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1305 11/25/17 12:13 PM
J
JAP Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Has anyone ever come across this during flap peen for coverage? How do you interpret this (typically tool speed and time)?

'Peen designated area on part using same parameters(tool speed and time) and technique as used to establish saturation curve. Peening of part must be done by same operator who established peening parameters with test strips'.

JAP #1306 11/27/17 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By JAP
Peen designated area on part using same parameters(tool speed and time) and technique as used to establish saturation curve. Peening of part must be done by same operator who established peening parameters with test strips'

I agree that the part should be RF peened at the same tool speed and the same operator that obtained an acceptable intensity from a saturation curve. The operator's technique should also be identical between peening Almen strips and the part surface.

The big issue is the peening time requirement. The peening time of a part has no relation to any time noted on a saturation curve, and establishing peening time is done by visual inspection only. This is noted in SAE's J2277. The part hardness and area to be peened are most likely different than an Almen strip's size and hardness. Even if a correlation can be established between the two, it can only be done for an automated process, which RF peening is not. The operator should, as outlined in SAE AMS2590, peen the part until the required area is observed (visually) to have "full" coverage.

How would I proceed given those instructions? I would look for a reference to SAE specs within the instructions. If they are there, or not, I would proceed as AMS2590 requires. It's more important to do it correctly. I think an email to an educated spec/instruction writer might be a good idea too.

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.