Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Walter Online Content OP
OP Online Content
AMS 2430 3.4.3.1 All edges and corners in the areas to be peened shall be inspected and be free of sharp edges and burrs.

This is a vague statement in my opinion. I think the specification(s) needs to define what a sharp edge is and provide guidance as to what a minimum edge break should be in APR 7488.

ARP 7488
3.5 Pre-peening Part Considerations 3.5.1 Parts should be provided to the peening processor by the purchaser in a condition prepared and ready for the peening process. The planned sequence of operations should result in parts provided to the processor that are free of grease, dirt, oil, corrosion, burrs, sharp edges, mechanical damage and corrosion-preventive coatings such as anodic coatings, plating, or paint. All burrs should be removed, and edges and corners to be peened should be rounded prior to peening to prevent material rollover. All heat treatment and non-destructive testing should be completed prior to peening. The part should be provided to the processor with all part dimensions and finish requirements met.

Z
ZHU Offline
Z
have u solve the problem of edge rollover?

Walter Online Content OP
OP Online Content
ZHU,

There is nothing in the specification detailing what the edge break should be yet, unfortunately. The engineering drawing call out for edge break always takes precedence over any specification.

However I have seen an alarming trend whereas the engineering drawing range will not yield and acceptable part after shot peen. Example: UOS all edges are to be broken .003-.015". While an edge broken to .003" would meet drawing requirements, the edge would almost certainly roll at any "A" scale intensity. Whereas if the edge was broken .010-.015" you would just about 100% guarantee that there would be no edge roll. My suggestion for peened parts would be to always put as close to the largest edge break allowed by the drawing. Waiting for this to be addressed by the specification could take years if ever.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.