Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Walter Online Content OP
OP Online Content
These are excerpts are from 2 different specifications used by the same company. Notice the difference in bold. Who would get to decide what is either "practicable" or "practical" I assume the words here should have been the same and it's a typo. No where in the specification does it detail what a "practicable" or "practical" size shot would be for a given intensity range.

Seems odd, what if the user only has ASH-170 and nothing else?

1)
"Shot size selection. Unless otherwise specified on the drawing , the nominal shot size shall be the smallest size practicable to produce the required intensity. The nominal shot size used on fillet surfaces shall not be greater than 1/2 the fillet radius. For slots or other apertures, through which shot must pass to peen shielded critical areas, the nominal shot size shall not be greater than 1/4 the diameter or width of such aperture."

2)
Shot Size Selection. Unless otherwise specified on the engineering drawing, the nominal shot size shall be the largest size practical to produce the required intensity. The nominal shot size used on fillet surfaces shall not be greater than 1/2 the fillet radius. For slots or other apertures, through which shot must pass peen shielded critical areas, the nominal shot size shall not be greater than 1 the diameter or width of such aperture.

You mention this was two different specs from the same company. I've seen a spec that has a conflicting requirement a couple pages later in the same spec.

We both know of people that are in charge of writing specs that have no business doing so. Gives me appreciation for the "cognizant" part of the recent additions of "cognizant engineering organization".

Last edited by Dave Barkley; 03/19/21 08:29 PM.

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.