Home
Posted By: Ken Cleaning after Shot peen - 05/02/11 05:43 PM
My problem is cleaning the surface after receiving it back from shot peening. We have aluminum shot peened with int.0.014A on many different sizes of parts that range from 2 feet to 15 feet. I have noticed that the dust from the peening process is very difficult to get out of the divots. We do have some parts that go back on the machine for boring and of course, now we have coolant to deal with. Is there a cleaning solution available and rags that won't tear apart while scrubbing the peened surface? Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Walter Re: Cleaning after Shot peen - 05/02/11 05:54 PM
Ken,

There are a couple of ways to solve this problem. However, in order to do any of them you would have to check with the end user to be sure it is acceptable.

1) Nitric Acid Clean at in a solution 30-50% acid to water.
2) Glass Bead blast clean .002-.006N intensity

Or you might want to look into this link http://www.finishing.com/476/07.shtml there is a reference to a citric based cleaner that I have tested. It worked fairly well but not as good as the Nitric acid. We have not been able to use the citric based cleaner as it is not yet approved by our aerospace customers.

Walter A. Beach
Vice President
Peening Technologies
PO Box 280306
8 Eastern Park Road
East Hartford, CT 06128

860-289-4328 ex. 3
860-289-2134 fax
www.peentech.com
Posted By: Ken Re: Cleaning after Shot peen - 05/03/11 03:06 PM
Thanks Walter for the advice and the link, I will check on specs. and see if those solutions would be acceptable.
© Q & A Forum - shotpeener.com