Home
Posted By: tec Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/04/15 10:16 AM
Morning

Would you expect to experience any magnetism of the parts through shot peening using Conditioned Cut Wire Stainless Steel Shot?
Posted By: Jack Champaigne Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/04/15 11:51 AM
No
Posted By: tec Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/04/15 02:10 PM
Many thanks for your quick reply Jack, what about in the media itself?
Posted By: Socrates Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/04/15 02:40 PM
My answer would be the same as Jack's if the component itself is non-magnetic e.g. aluminum. If, on the other hand, it is ferromagnetic then some transfer of magnetism (shot to component) can occur. This requires, however, that the conditioned cut wire stainless steel shot itself has some magnetism. During conditioning some stainless steels generate a fraction of martensite (due to plastic deformation). This fraction can itself become slightly magnetized. Demagnetization of shot can then be effected by, for example, vigorous shaking.
Posted By: Jack Champaigne Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/04/15 04:04 PM
The chance that the media itself can become magnetized is summarized in the above post from Socrates. Stainless steel cut wire media can be made from several grades of stainless steel, some can transition into martensite easier than others.
Posted By: tec Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/05/15 02:39 PM
Again many thanks for your information. The material I am refering to is 301 Stainless manufacture and conditioned in line with AMS 2431/4C.

After a little googling I found the 301 becomes magnetic when cold worked, but AMS 2431 doesn't call for any demagnetization.

With this being the case, we appear to have a magnetic field within our media, need to now check if this is in anyway transferred to the non-magnetic parts we are peening!
Posted By: Jack Champaigne Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/05/15 02:53 PM
Thanks for additional information. In fact we are investigating the magnetizing effect of SS cut wire ourselves. I doubt that it will magnetize your parts but I would like to learn your results and conclusions.
Posted By: tec Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/05/15 03:05 PM
It will probably be a couple of weeks, but I will let you know how we get on
Posted By: Charlie Re: Magnetism Through Shot Peening - 06/16/15 03:38 PM
As previously stated, most austenitic stainless steels can become magnetic during coldworking, such as shotpeening.

Nickel and nitrogen are austenite stabilizers so an alloy like 301 with a relatively low nickel content is expected to have a higher magnetic permeability. If you are allowed a different grade of stainless, the amount of magnetism may be reduced.
© Q & A Forum - shotpeener.com