Home
There seems to be a difference in requirements of the intensity tolerance in AMS 2430 revision S and J443 revision 2010.

In section 3.10.2 of the former the following is specified:
Quote:
Intensity verification test strip measured arc heights shall be reproduced within +-0.0015 inch (0.0375 mm) of the process parameter sheet and shall be within the intensity range for the part.

Whereas in section 7.3 of the J443 the following is specified:
Quote:
... The resulting arc height readings must then repeat the value achieved in the corresponding original saturation curve +-0.038 mm (+-0.0015 in). The resultant arc height readings do not have to be within the intensity tolerance band since the single verification time at a given location may be substantially less than or greater than T...

The AMS 2430 is more stringent, but at the same time it refers to J443 for the intensity verification method (see AMS 2430 sections 3.2.2, 3.5.1.1 and 3.7.1.1). By doing that it seems that the AMS 2430 accepts the J443 interpretation as well. How to interpret this?
I would say that for now you will have to live to the AMS 2430 requirement whereas the intensity verification readings must be within the b/p specified range. I too believe that section 3.10.2 should be removed from AMS 2430 as it conflicts with J443 and has no purpose.
I will add this topic to the agenda for our AMECSE meeting on Jan 8-9 in Monterey, CA
Jack
Something new on this topic (AMS.2430 rev S) ?
The intensity verification at +-0.0015 inch is required, it seems that this requirement within intensity range of the part is not acceptable due to the peening porcess reproducibility ?
Thanks to light my understanding
You must stay within the drawing range when working to AMS 2430.
This is a dual requirement. Stay within the intensity range required but also be able to reproduce the intensity value within ±0.0015 inch. Some ranges may be quite large, perhaps 0.006 inch (±0.003 inch). If your process wanders greatly, meaning more than ±0.0015 inch, it may not be well controlled and you should investigate the cause.
© Q & A Forum - shotpeener.com