Home
Posted By: Dave Barkley Glass Bead for Peening - 03/01/21 08:24 PM
I'm asking this question on behalf of a recent MRO / FAA repair facility that called me.

They're setting up a small peening machine with glass bead as the media. They've contacted a few distributors and was told that finding glass bead that meets AMS-2431/6 is difficult and other MRO facilities in the region use MIL-PRF-9954D glass bead as an acceptable substitute.

Does anyone have any knowledge/thoughts on this?
Posted By: Walter Re: Glass Bead for Peening - 03/01/21 09:13 PM
I would say that these specifications are NOT interchangeable without agreement from the cognizant engineering organization.

Here are just a few differences:

1. The size designation are different
2. Silicon content no less than 62% in the MIL and not less than 67% in AMS.
3. The sample size is approximately 60 drams in the AMS and varies with size in the MIL spec from 100 grams to 25.

I would suggest this MRO / FAA repair facility contact a manufacturer of glass beads such as Potters https://www.pottersindustries.com/micro-glass-beads/
I'm sure they can tell them who their local distributor is.
Posted By: Very Old Tom Re: Glass Bead for Peening - 10/15/21 07:10 AM
Hi Dave and Walter.

These old Glass bead sizes can be a real pain at times.

You may well have solved this problem, but if not, you may want to try Hodge Clemco as my contact ([email protected]) tells me they can supply all AGB- sizes to meet AMS2431/6.

The typical Silicon content is 73% and never less than 67% so that all looks good. Contact details: [email protected]

I can't imagine the varying sample size will be an issue as it's the percentages of those samples that are critical values.

Hope this helps.

Very Old Tom
© Q & A Forum - shotpeener.com