Home
Posted By: Jack Champaigne Corrosion of Inconel - 06/25/19 08:28 PM
I am looking for articles that discuss the peening of Inconel to reduce corrosion. Is high-intensity peening appropriate or should it also include low-intensity peening?
Posted By: David_VN Re: Corrosion of Inconel - 07/12/23 03:52 AM
Hi Sir,
We are performing Shot peen for Nickel alloys parts. We are using Steel media. After shot peening, we recognized the Rust on the part surface. I think the rust cause by residual media. Do you have experience about this issue?
Posted By: Jack Champaigne Re: Corrosion of Inconel - 07/13/23 12:22 PM
I have heard that cast steel media may leave dust on the parts while cut wire media will leave less dust.
You may have to use an acid wash to clean the parts afterwards.
Posted By: David_VN Re: Corrosion of Inconel - 07/18/23 07:59 AM
Hi Sir,
I also think that we need a cleaning operation. But the customer's requirement is: "After shot peening, masks, residual tracer material, shot, and shot fragments shall be removed from all surfaces by methods which do not chemically affect, erode or scratch the surface."

Can you recommend other cleaning method?
Thank you so much.
Posted By: Jack Champaigne Re: Corrosion of Inconel - 07/18/23 12:21 PM
Are you performing peening to a specification or only a purchase order? Your customer should have guidelines for cleaning processes.
Posted By: David_VN Re: Corrosion of Inconel - 07/19/23 01:16 AM
Hi Sir,
We are performing peening to a customer specification. They did not have any guidelines for cleaning processes. Now, we are performing Alkaline Cleaning after shotpeening.
© Q & A Forum - shotpeener.com