Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1247 08/26/16 04:46 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,

I have encounter an issue here recently at my plant with the shot peen dust byproduct from our process.

I am using steel cut wire shot from Toyo Seiko to shot peen automotive coil springs. As the shot wears our dust collectors pull out the dust and it collects in a 55 gallon barrel.

Across our 6 spring processing lines we are producing about 6 barrels of dust per day.

In the past we have been able to sell the dust to a company who recycled it, however that is no longer the case.

Currently I am paying over $100 to take away each barrel for disposal in a land fill. Not only is this not environmentally friendly, this is also having a major impact on my current costs as this was not built into our budget.

Does the community have any recommendations or best practices for dust disposal? Is it good for anything else?

The plant is located in the Cincinnati, OH area.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chris

J
Online Content
J
The next issue of The Shotpeener Magazine has an article on recycling spent media.

K
K
Have you found a solution. I know it has been awhile since you posted, but this issue is getting to be more pressing to all shot peening operations.

J
Online Content
J
https://www.shotpeener.com/library/pdf/2017019.pdf

Article from The Shot Peener Magazine about Recycling

Online Content
That's an insane amount of dust for a single day!

Can you share more about your process?
1) Exactly what type and size / hardness of peening media are you using?
2) What is the intensity range?
Are you using wheel or pneumatic type peening equipment?
3) Are parts cleaned prior to peening them peen them?

AMS2430
3.3.3.2 All parts shall be visually clean prior to shot peening. The purchaser shall supply clean parts to the processor or specify the cleaning method prior to peening to the processor. If no pre-peening cleaning method is specified by purchaser, processor may clean the parts using a method acceptable to the purchaser. Halogenated solvents shall not be used to clean titanium alloy parts. Parts shall be visually inspected to verify freedom from grease dirt, oil, corrosion, mechanical damage and corrosion-preventive coatings such as anodic coatings, plating, or paint. Use of magnification as a referee for part inspection is permitted.

Last edited by Walter; 03/08/18 09:55 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.