Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
I am no longer in the shot peening business, but I am still involved with sifting products through screen separators - both rotary- and deck-style sifting. We have recently had a request from a customer for an alarm when a screen has been compromised. We are not aware of any detection system for compromised screens other than periodic inspection. But, I though I would try this forum to see if the peening industry has developed anything that we could apply.

I would welcome any thoughts you may have.

Just a couple thoughts:

Putting the Fines container on a weight scale and logging data is a possible method. Seeing a change in the rate of waste to operating time is a good way to identify a screen with a hole or one that it clogged.

you could see the change if the data is put into a spreadsheet/graph. An advanced system could include the scale sending data to a logic function of the machine. This is where an alarm is possible.

Last edited by Dave Barkley; 03/07/18 08:00 PM.

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer
J
J
I have seen machines with the fines container on the weight scale and it automatically recorded and reported the accumulation per hour of use. That is a great metric to keep the machine in proper operating condition.
I suppose if you wanted to go further you could actually separate the screen output into the too-large and the too-small (e.g. separate hose and collection for top and bottom screen).

R
OP Offline
R
The specific process I am dealing with now is sifting ingredients for a baking process. Essentially, I am trying to sort out clumps and foreign objects. In an ideal case, all product would make it through the screens and nothing would be rejected.

If a screen is damaged, the undesirable items could make it through to the product. So, if the reject product were monitored (by weighing or some other means), it would be difficult to determine if the process was operating well (no rejects) or if the screen was damaged (no rejects).

Today, processors visually inspect the screens periodically. We have been challenged by a customer to see if we can come up with some kind of alarm or notification in the event that a screen is damaged.

I appreciate the thoughts!

S
S
Why not use two identical screens, one on top of the other. One screen could be rotated frequently without interrupting sieving until it comes to the time for a visual inspection to be carried out. Just a thought.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.