Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I would like to make sure my inspection area has appropriate lighting requirements to inspect coverage. I have had some past experience where coverage was missed and not identified until later. During investigation, there was concern on lighting was insufficient or too strong that coverage could be missed. I have reviewed the SAE standards and do not see anything mentioning recommended lighting for coverage inspection. I have multiple different material types that get shot peen with the same method, media, intensity but the surface finish is different based on the material hardness. Is there an equation or formula that takes in consideration the reflectivity of shot peen part material, surface roughness, etc. that can provide recommendation of lux lighting?

Last edited by Stephanie Hawley; 03/09/22 08:02 PM.
Online Content
Generally accepted practice: Fixed lighting in the inspection area shall have an intensity that is minimum of 100 foot candles. (I would recommend going with 150 foot candles personally) The intensities of white light shall be measured at the surface of the parts undergoing inspection or at a distance of 12", whichever is greater. Care must be taken so that the lighting is arranged to prevent shadow and glare free illumination of the surface to be inspected. 200 or more foot candles is required for holes and other areas that are shielded from room lighting.

Moderated by  Socrates 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.