Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253 10/16/06 04:27 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Dear Mr. Jack Champaigne,
I have got your reference from the website www.shotpeening.org.
I am a welding engineer.

I am faced with a unusual query for which I am not able to find a satisfactory solution.

One of our clients has requested "Shot peening" of restrained joints during welding of assembly.
It is left to me to identify the restrained joints and decide the thickness on which I shall have to do peening.
I have to submit documented proof before I can decide which joints shall be peened and which joints will not require peening.
The job has mainly fillet joints, Butt welds and Single bevel joints. the Butt and Single bevel joints are Ultrasonically tested and the fillet joints are tested by performing Dye Penetrant test only.
my question is as follows
1) What is the basis for deciding the weld thickness of joints to be peened?
2) Should all plate thicknesses be peened while welding multiple pass fillet joints?

I will be grateful if you can spare the time to answer my query.

Anonymous

S
S
Hello,

According to my basic mechanical design information, the design of welds and welded components are independent from the shot peening process. Calculations of weld strength should be carried out by the mechanical designer seperately from any further surface finish.
The shot peening is a process that follows the whole design of the component. If the weld strength is not enough to hold the two parts together due to high loads or poor welding method/process then the shot peening won't prevent for example hot cracks from initiating.

Regards

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.