Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1034 11/26/13 06:36 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I have a client that want to do a vibro stone tumble operation after shot peening RC 56/58 hardened steel components to an arc hieght of 16/18. I cautioned them that Shot peening should be the last operaton done to a surface, but question what harm such minimal material removal would do. Does any one have an opinion on that ?

S
S
AMS 2432B gives useful guidelines for the amount of material that can safely be removed post-peening. Briefly: hard materials can have 5% of the Almen A intensity removed and 10% for soft materials. Vobro stone tumbling would be expected to smooth a peened surface - provided that strict control was applied. Without further information it seems that tumbling could be safely applied.

M
OP Offline
M
Hi Thanks for the advise !

A
A
dear all,

can give some advice about how to measure penning intensity by use almen strip in gear ( helical , worm ..etc )?

wait for reply
thanks
amit89

Online Content
Amit89,

This is a the single most important part of the shot peening process. I suggest you obtain a copy of SAE J443 go to http://standards.sae.org/j443_201006/ to get yourself a copy. This will help guide you.

Then I think you need to seek out some assistance from someone whom can perform some professional training. This is not a topic that can be easily explained in a internet blog.

J
J
You might be able to benefit from using the new Mini-Strip from Electronics Inc.
http://electronics-inc.com/ministrips.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.