Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I am using more than one Almen strips on the same fixture for an impeller.In this case I am achieving 3 different intensities on 3 Almen strips.Which intensity should I consider?

If you found 3 different intensities via 3 different saturation curves the answer is to use all 3 of them. The reason they put multiple strips on the part is to check that the intensity is correct in specific areas.

Each location can have it's own intensity requirement, or all three can be the same. All three locations must be within their accepted intensity band.

So make sure to determine the intensity for each location via a saturation curve. I stress this only because I frequently find people that confuse intensity and arc height (or target arc height).

Let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you David for the reply,however in my case all the 3 locations have the same intensity range and I am able to achieve them.Time at T is different for the three locations,during production which of the times should I consider for verifying intensity.

Per J443, you are not required to use T as your verification time. If you use some other time you wouldn't expect the arc height value to be the same as the intensity value.

Using the curve you could select a time (after T) and see what the arc height should be for that time. You would then verify intensity by running a strip at your selected time with the goal of getting a "target arc height". If you succeed in doing so, you are verifying the saturation curve is still valid, thus the intensity has not changed.

Using this method you would take the longest T value of your 3 solved curves and find the arc heights for that time on the other 2 curves. This allows you to verify all 3 locations with a single time.

We describe this procedure at our US Workshop and international seminars. Come out and see us at one! smile

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you David

P
OP Offline
P
I could set target arc height.So I could understand from your reply that I can verify intensity at the time corresponding to target arc height during each production run.Is this enough?

P
OP Offline
P
What is the variation permitted from the established intensity,is it + or - 0.0015?

S
S
The concept of "Target Intensity" is explained in detail in the 2015 TSP article "Verification of Peening Intensity" - downloadable via Shotpeener.com/library - bottom of page 1.

Online Content
The allowed variation in J443 is ± 0.0015"

A word of caution other peening specifications imposed other limits. Such as AMS2430 which require the ± 0.0015" variation to remain inside the limits of the engineering drawing.

AMS2430 example:

Drawing states the intensity range to be .006-.009A. During your process development you determine that the intensity of your process is .0085A. Now sometime later you run your verification arc height.
Based on AMS2430 it can be as low as .007A but the upper limit is .009A.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.