Next Thread
Print Thread
#214 10/05/06 04:50 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Moisture in Media

Current situation:
We torque used Connecting Rods and blast the ID of the crank with a turntable style blaster. We are using Ceramic Beads. The grease is making it into the media stream and causes the following:
Media is sticking all over the surface of the rods.
Media sticking to bolt and bolt face (anywhere grease or oil is.
A film is on the inside of the blaster.

Question:
The blaster is still blasting the part to an acceptable level of cleanliness but seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Also, keep in mind ceramic in an engine part where there are bearings is a BIG PROBLEM! Does anyone have any suggestions for Media Type? I do not need to increase my cycle time and nothing I seem to try works in the same time frame as the ceramic. (Note: keep in mind my system is an EMPIRE and was set-up to run ceramic) Can any one tell me how much of the grease would be permissible or is there a way to keep it from getting into the main stream of the media.

Other questions:
How much would a dryer help for the incoming air?

What are all the alternatives to lubing the bolt / nuts and face to prevent galling?

Does any one have a rust-preventive that ceramic media will not stick to?

Tripple C
#215 10/09/06 05:48 PM
As far as I know no grease is ever permissible in the blasting cabinet.
You should be thoroughly degreasing your parts prior to blasting.

An excellent cleaning solution is Blue Gold http://www.bluegoldcleaners.com/cleaner.htm. It can be used at room temp. or heated in tanks. Or you could invest in an aqueous parts washer.

After blasting you would apply your rust preventative. I use Ferrocote 5856 BF

#216 10/11/06 12:14 AM
H
OP Offline
H
The grease is on the bolt face and around the nuts. I really feel if we align the blow off station of the blaster to not hit the area where the grease is it will remain on the rod.

This being the case the only grease making it into the main flow would be what rubs off on the turntable itself. I don't think this would be enough to hut anything. What do you think?

You mention chemicals…the rods are sticky with the rust preventive …we are switching to a P3T 5088 made by Henkel. I think it will work much better as a rust preventive and not leave as much of a film.

Tripple C
#217 10/11/06 12:19 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Something else I failed to ask. Does anyone have any experience with plastic media? It seems to work in about the same timeframe as the ceramic. The surface finish is OK as well. We have currently only tested it in a manual blaster. I was hoping for some input before trying in the actual machine. What you think?

Tripple C

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.