Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#264 11/29/08 04:55 PM
J
OP Offline
J
(From phone conversation)
I've been told to use the saturation time of the Almen strip as the time needed to achieve coveage for my part. This doesn't seem reasonable since the part hardness could be different than the Almen strip. How do I determine my peening cycle time?

#265 11/29/08 04:56 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Confusion over separation of the concepts "Intensity" and "Coverage" (or "Cycle Time") is often
encountered as a problem in the shot peening industry. Consequently SAE Committee (Fatigue
Design and Evaluation) decided to remove references to coverage from SAE J443 Procedures for
Using Standard Shot Peening Test Strip and created a new document SAE J2277, "Shot Peening
Coverage" issued in January of 2003.
First, let's discuss the problem and then the solution. In peening, the goal is to impart a
dominantly compressive stress distribution in the surface layers of a part that may be subjected to
cyclic stress, hence improving its fatigue life or load bearing capability. The depth of the effective
compressive stress distribution is determined by the peening intensity. Intensity is influenced
principally by impact media size, hardness and velocity. To achieve the desired effects from
peening, it is reasonable to ensure that the entire part or critical area receives sufficient impacts
to achieve uniformity in the resulting compressively stressed surface layers. This embodies the
concept of coverage and uniformity thereof. So, to obtain desired results from peening, we must
accomplish two things: determine (and control) intensity and determine (and control) coverage.
As will be outlined below, it is necessary first to determine intensity and then to determine
coverage i.e. establish the correct peening cycle time.
There is presently no Intensity Meter that allows direct determination of peening intensity. Instead
one must employ the Almen method for intensity determination. By making impact dents on one
surface of a standard Almen test strip we cause the strip to curve (deflect). It will continue to
curve as it accepts more impact dents. With increasing time of exposure to media impacts the
rate of curving diminishes eventually to the point that curvature no longer increases. Plotting a
graph of Almen strip curvature (expressed as arc height) versus exposure allows one to
determine peening intensity. This graph has become known as the Almen Intensity Saturation
Curve, or saturation curve. This leads to the 10% rule devised by Almen that states, The intensity
is the first arc height point on the saturation curve whose value, when the exposure time is
doubled, increases by no more than 10%. The intensity, thus determined, characterizes and
represents the combined characteristics of the media and equipment operating conditions. Please
note here that the Almen method involves only the concept of peening intensity. Determination of
coverage or cycle time is an issue which must be addressed on the part to be peened.
If one were to examine a single dent on the Almen strip one would observe that (approximately) a
.009-inch dent diameter occurs after impact with shot at a .010 inch A (or 10A) intensity.
Accumulation of sufficient dents of this size on the Almen strip causes it to curve as exhibited by
the saturation curve. But what happens with denting another target material that is different from
the Almen strip? The Almen strip material is SAE 1070 cold rolled steel with a hardness range of
44-50 HRc. If one were to substitute a part of much higher material hardness, perhaps a
carburized gear at 60 HRC, much smaller dents would result from media impacts at the same
intensity. If one were to substitute a much softer part, e.g. aluminum with hardness equivalent to
80 HRB, then much larger dents would occur. Therefore, to completely cover the hard gear would
take a lot more dents and much longer exposure time than for the much softer aluminum.
So, my question to you (or your friends) is Why would one use the Almen strip denting
characteristics to set the machine cycle time for peening your parts? Complete coverage of your
part means complete denting of the intended target, not the Almen strip! The Almen strip is
correctly employed ONLY for intensity determination and not for coverage.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.