Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#422 07/29/03 05:52 PM
J
OP Offline
J
A Drawing shot peen requirement calls for 150% coverage .012A-.015A arc height using 32 CW shot. I have never heard of peening an item in increments between 100 and 200%. Is
this a standard practice allowed by any specification and if so where can I locate it?
The company certifying a part shot peened to 150% uses an additional 50% time in the shot process to say this is 50% greater peening. I disagree but only from an intuitive stance.
If this is possible, please provide an explanation of the % of coverage/compressive stresses that can be expected to result from an additional 50% peening time, i.e., will it result in a full shot coverage over the entire part that meets the Almen strip height? Any explanation you can provide on this subject is appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Jim A

#423 07/30/03 12:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion, 150% is specified (as a minimum) because the peener is not trusted to achieve 100% and with the mistaken idea that more is better. The opposite is true because more coverage increases surface damage and uses up ductility. I would expect to see no increase in the depth or magnitude of the compressive layer with coverage beyond 100%
Pete Bailey

#424 07/30/03 11:22 AM
S
S
I also have a similar situation regarding a part requiring 6-9A peening with 125% minimum coverage. We also add 25% of the time cycle to the total time to meet the requirement. This is strictly a part print requirement and not specified in any of the customers procedures.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.