Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#471 06/17/04 04:17 PM
Walter Offline OP
OP Offline
Shot size and uniformity

Section 4.3.1 Sampling for shot size and uniformity shall be done at the frequencies specified in 4.2.1 for intensity. Where cut wire shot is used, it shall be inspected for absence of sharp edges and roundness (see 3.1.3)

Section 4.2.1 States that in all cases at least one determination shall be made at the beginning and one at the end of each period of operation or part change.

Section 3.3.9 States the same but adds some more detail.

My problem is two fold, first why would you need to check the shot after each new part number is put into the machine? Second why does this specification duplicate the requirements.

I believe sampling steel shot every 8 hours is sufficient for any machine with or without built in classifiers.

-What do you think?

#472 06/17/04 04:59 PM
J
J
Walter,
I agree with you. In fact, there are several other items that need to be addressed, probably at the SAE level. I'll be soliciting input on changes to J442, J443, AMS-S-13165 and AMS 2430 and AMS 2432. I'll start the discussion first at our web site and them move them on to AMEC and the Surface Enhancement Division of SAE Fatigue Design and Evaluation Committee.
We have had numerous calls in the past month regarding "shot peeing audits" and it is clear that the specs need attention.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.