Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#728 01/12/11 10:44 AM
H
OP Offline
H
I am working on intensity verification of shot peening process using mini Almen strips which are produced by Electronics Inc. I want to know the application procedure of mini strip for a given Almen intensity on a drawing. Is there any military or industrial specification reference for using mini Almen strips? Is there a limitaiton of use for mini Almen strips?

N. Hakan Karaaslan
Metalworking Engineer
GE Aviation

T +90 262 677 6044
E [email protected]

TUBITAK-MAM Teknoloji Serbest Bölgesi
41470, Gebze, Kocaeli, Turkey
GE Marmara Technology Center Muhendislik Hizmetleri Limited Sirketi
J
J

You are in uncharted waters here because there are no military or industry specifications to guide you, but safety is assured if you make the proper moves. Just be certain to correlate mini-strip response to your media stream to the response using standard Almen strips in the same orientation and stand-off distance to the media stream representing/simulating the location of the mini-strip(s) on your part. Do a complete saturation curve from which to derive intensity in proper fashion. Do not use a single strip.

S
S
I agree entirely with John's reply. My only contribution would be to suggest that you correlate the response using more than the minimum of four standard Almen strips. Six strips would show that you are being properly cautious.

J
Online Content
J
Here is some additional information on the application of mini-strips from Electronics Incorporated. This article will be published later this month in The Shot Peener. You can download a copy as pdf format file by pasting this into your browser:

Electronics Inc Announces new Almen Products

H
OP Offline
H
Jack, Socrates and John; thanks for your helpful messages.

Jack, I read the article. It is full of useful information. But I have two questions in my mind:

1-I understand that it is not necessary to attach mini strip to a standard strip holder as we do for standard strips. In this case, flattness of the surface that we attach mini strip doesn't take an important role. Should I take it like that?

2-Corelation work is done on a standard strip holder. This corelation work is done on a simple single almen holder fixture and expose to shot stream? or should we do it for different peening angles and intensity verification positions?

Thanks!
Hakan.

N. Hakan Karaaslan
Metalworking Engineer
GE Aviation

T +90 262 677 6044
E [email protected]

TUBITAK-MAM Teknoloji Serbest Bölgesi
41470, Gebze, Kocaeli, Turkey
GE Marmara Technology Center Muhendislik Hizmetleri Limited Sirketi
J
Online Content
J
1. Within reason the flatness is not as important for the mini-strip since it is attached with either double-sided tape or rubber cement.
2. For correlation work you use standard holder and strips to develop the saturation curve. This may involve set-ups at various angles according to your drawing instructions. Once you have all of your saturation curves you can then expose the mini-strip to the blast stream in the same manner, i.e. same distance and angle, but you only need to expose the mini-strip for the T1 times of each saturation curve. The arc heights of the mini-strips thus give you indication of intensity in the difficult locations.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.