Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#749 04/05/11 04:31 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Dear all,

Automatic shot peening specification AMS 2430 Rev. R defines peening intensity in par. 3.6.2:
"Peening intensity shall be as specified on the engineering drawing, determined in accordance with SAE J443."

After issuing of new revision of specification SAE J443 Rev. June 2010 the definition of the peening intensity has changed.
The peening almen intensity is now related only to saturation curves, but not to the arc height measured in production lots.
So per par. 7.3 of SAE J443 the arc height may be outside the tolerance required by the blueprint for specific parts and is considered as acceptable by SAE J443.

We see hear contradiction that may influence on the process and produce parts not confirming to the blueprints requirements.

Please clarify.

Best regards,

Alex

Online Content
Section 7.3 was designed to give the user a method of proving the process is repeatable not to determine intensity. The “arc height” at the Target Arc Height is just a number. I understand you problem, I often face similar problems when trying to explain this principle to auditors/customers. The majority of the customers I deal with would also like to see T2 and or the Target Arc Height within the B/P specified range. All of which is possible. However, it deviates from the written requirement in AMS 2430 / SAE J443. I can tell you that I am presently working with two large Aerospace primes trying to get them to “buy into” this new method. Or, at the very least get them to document how they would like things to be done in a supplemental document. One important thing to remember you could always write your internal procedures to meet both your customers perceived requirement and the AMS 2430 / SAE J443 requirement. i.e. you could say “The resulting arc height readings must then repeat within +/-.0015”. However, the resultant arc height readings must remain within the intensity tolerance band.”

A
OP Offline
A
Now my internal procedure says:
The resulting arc height shall repeat the value achieved in original saturation curve ± 0.0015 in. All the values shall be in the range defined in the operation sheet.
It is exactly the same as it is said in the previous message.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.