Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#810 11/01/11 03:22 PM
D
OP Offline
D
We have had the issue of missing the NDT Mag Inspection before shot peen (.012A)on a 205KSI 13-8 material. The thin wall part will be chrome plated. This is a flight critical application but we don't want to scrap out the parts.
Can we still get a proper NDT check after shot peen? Would a surface crack be imbedded into the shot peened surface and cause fatigue issues? Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Doug Jones
S
S
Compressive residual stresses at the as-peened surface will close up any cracks - making them almost impossible to detect by magnetic-particle NDT.

D
OP Offline
D
Well, since Mag particle will typcially detect indication up to .050 deep that would be below the shot peened compressive surface, then we should be able to insure the integrity of this area of the part below the surface. (Or maybe add an Eddy current or ultrasonic additionally.) But I agree, the major concern is if you have a surface crack,it may be hidden and still be a fatigue concern.
I am getting information from a source that they have tested parts with a know crack and any crack would show in NDT after shot peen. I'm not convinced. The purpose of the shot peen is to prevent crack propagation that could occur from the cracks in the chrome plating. Obviously, the cracks in the chrome are very small (<.004)and there is data that shows that chrome plated parts have a significant fatique debit without shot peening.

Doug Jones

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.