Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#831 12/29/11 01:25 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I received this inquirey recently. Can anyone help?
I am working in an OEM in India. I am a transmission Designer. I write this mail, to get my query being clarified. I am using Gears and the gears are normally Shaved. Now I am planning to Grind my Gears due to Noise and the Gears also needs to be Shot Peened. But my Vendor informs me that the Grinding Effect will be lost , if we shot peen after Gridning. I would like to know will there be any Impact on Gear Profile if shotpeening is done After shotpeening What is the sequence to be followed. Need your Inputs and advice. I would like to have your Inputs.

S
S
Shaving is usually regarded as a finishing operation. Applied correctly it is effective in reducing noise due to the modification/correction of the teeth profile. You do not state why the gears have to be shot peened, the gear material or the nature of the stated "Grinding Effect".
Carburised gears, for example, benefit greatly from final shot peening due to a combination of improved compressive surface residual stress, retained austenite transformation and the generation of microscopic 'lubricant pockets'. The optimum peening intensity, shot material and shot size depend on the gear teeth size and gear material.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.