Print Thread
#888 05/02/12 07:30 PM
C
carl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
having a little debate. if you do a sat curve by doubling feed
rates, example 1, 2, 4 , 8, inches per minute and achieve your
desired intensity. is there any reason you cant run your part at feed rate of 12 if that gives 100% coverge to part

thanks

carl #889 05/02/12 07:54 PM
If you're required to use the 10% rule (i.e. generating a saturation curve) for determining intensity, the rule states that intensity is the value of the arc height at t1 when the doubling of that TIME (t2) results in a 10% increase in the arc height. This, of course, relies on the flow rate to be constant.

The idea of altering the flow rate for a given time is interesting but not recognised that I know of.

Also, note that the doubling of time is only required to satisfy the 10% rule between t1 and t2. Your acquired data points can be virtually any value as long as one of them is at or beyond t2.

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer
carl #890 05/02/12 08:10 PM
C
carl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
i think i understand, instead of feed rate lets use minutes. if
my t1 occured at 2 minutes and t2 was at 4 minutes then it would be permissable to run the part at say, 1 minute as long as i achieved the desired 100%

carl #891 05/02/12 08:33 PM
Short answer, Yes.

The most important thing to understand is that the time it takes to peen the actual part has absolutely nothing to do with the 10% rule, saturation curves, almen strips, etc...

None of that can tell you how long to peen your parts. You must determine part peening time via examination of the parts at various time intervals. Too little time = you're not getting complete coverage. Too much time = higher than needed labor cost per part and unnecessary wear on your media and machine.

Remember that intensity can change with any machine parameter adjustment, including flow rate. So, be sure to check intensity only after parameters are set, and stick with them.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer

Moderated by  Socrates 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.