Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Online Content
J
I recently received this request for size information on glass bead.
It is very clear what is the nominal size of glass bead if one peens per AMS 2430 with AMS 2431/6 media.

I could not find what is the nominal size of glass bead with MIL-PRF-9954 media.I am just looking at the size for glass bead peening of threads using MIL-PRF-9954. The diameter should not exceed 1/2 of the radius with some exceptions.

Basically the question is what is the nominal size of MIL-PRF-9954 Size xx, for example size 10.

J
OP Online Content
J
another response from Denny:
The term nominal, is an interesting conversation on its own. Therefore I’m not real sure your definition, but I will use the information contained in the ASTM E-11 specification for test sieves.

A couple of other facts about the MIL-PFR9854B specification.

1. U.S. Standard screen number is the alternate sieve number in ASTM E-11, and at one time was refer to the mesh of the sieve or the number of opening per inch of a sieve.

2. In table one the % passing requirement is reversed compared to many shot peening sieve specifications. 100% passing would be stated in many other peening specifications as 0% max.

Using table 1, the nominal size for the size 3 glass would be the, 30 US STD screen, which is the ASTM No 30, 600 micron, .0234 inch nominal opening test sieve. The sieve would be required to have 85% minimum retained on it or no more than 15% passing.

A
A
dear sir

i want to know on which material we use glass bead ?

can we use glass bead for penning process on any material?

how to achieve penning intensity on material?
thanks
amit89

J
OP Online Content
J
You should get a copy of the following documents from SAE: J 442, J 443, HS-84. You should also go back to our web site and look at all of the tutorials on shot peening and intensity.

A
A
Dear Jack

thanks for positive reply

thanks
amit89

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.