Hello everyone,
one of our shot peening machine (tunnel type, with 3 turbines) is now running on 1,2mm shot (before it was 1mm).
I'm trying to use saturation measurement performed by a colleague (but who never analysed/drawn the curve...).
As it's a tunnel, peening time is adjust by conveyor speed
Measurement are performed with C plate (with A we had 0.76mm at 2min, 1.20mm at 8..... so A is not suitable)
The strange stuff is that we have lower saturation value with the new large shot! Turbine are compatible for the new diameter shot.

[img]https://ibb.co/cwrzVC1[/img]

What should I conclude? on 1,2mm shot saturation curve, measurements was stopped to soon? I have drawed a new curve with an imaginary 16 minutes points (trying to achieve a plateau), it naturally increase the saturation value. Result looks more logical. But I'm not so sure it would reach that plateau on the next point. It seems to keep rising, after 16min, it would be 32minutes crazy long.
Did you ever had such curve, who keep rising? What to conclude, lower saturation value, but 4 and 8 minutes points are much higher than before.
In SAE J443, we can read: It should be noted that Almen strips exposed for extended periods may exhibit arc heights significantly greater than the “intensity” value.

Thanks to all who read that.
a nice day to all shot peener!

Last edited by Jean; 04/02/24 08:41 AM.