Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Hi,

I have an idea how to measure capability in a machine for shot peening. I would like to shot minimum 50 Almen strips and then measure the variation in arc height.

1. The question is what tolerance to set on the variation. Is 0.2mm (0.007874") a normal value?

2. What value on capability is recommended to set on a new machine? I think >2 is what we at least need to set as a minimum to get a stable process. What do you think?

J
J
Johan,
I like your concept and think that your initial proposals, 0.2mm and capability of >2, is reasonable.Let's see what others think. I'll mention this at our next AMECSE meeting Jan 26, 2010 in Asilomar when we review AMS 2430 and AMS 2432.

J
J
As you may know, Electronics Inc. has provided premium grade Almen strips for many years. In addition to testing the SAE required parameters of length, width, thickness, hardness and pre-bow (flatness) we also do performance testing. The following link will show you the distribution of arc heights for a common setup. You should expect to get similar results when you perform your own tests. Please let me know of your results.
http://www.electronics-inc.com/uploads/StripTesting.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.