Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
I have a question about peening intensity. Assume I have a process for which I have made a saturation curve and demonstrated that the saturation intensity is 10A. Is any point on this curve at 10A intensity? In other words, is it then only coverage that determines where I actually land on this curve for my actual process, and I can actually be at ½ the saturation cycle time but still at the same intensity? Or do I actually have to peen for a cycle time greater than the saturation point in order for the process to be at 10A? I hope this question is clear...

J
J
Once you have run the saturation curve and it shows satisfactory intensity you essentially "freeze" the parameters except for coverage/cycle time. You will be peening at the correct intensity regardless of the length of the cycle time. The cycle time is determined by visual examination of peened product. When you have just achieved 100% complete denting then you can fix the cycle time. If more than 100% coverage is requested then you use multiples of the time required for 100% coverage.

N
OP Offline
N
Jack,
Thanks for your response. This clears up the issue immensely for me! Thank you for all the contributions you make to the peening community.

While I completely agree with what Jack wrote. I urge you to be careful. Be sure you understand what your customer requires. Some will say you have to peen to the longer of the time to reach coverage/saturation.
I think Jack will agree with me that this is one of if not the most misunderstood part of the shot peening process.

Walter A. Beach
Vice President
Peening Technologies
PO Box 280306
8 Eastern Park Road
East Hartford, CT 06128

860-289-4328 ex. 3
860-289-2134 fax
www.peentech.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.