Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Dear Mr. Champaigne,

Seasons Greetings to you.

I work for one of the truck majors in India. Our scope in shotpeening is limited to engine Connecting Rods. The design is to peen using SS460 shots.

Due to process constraints, we are looking forward to peen ConRods with SS330 shots. Is this right in the first place?

I remember to have read an article in MFN Journal (which I failed to preserve) that the depth of compressive stress is related to the shot size, owing to the mass and the resultant velocity. If you could clarify on this, it will help us to tide over the crisis of capacity constraint.

Alternatively, is it possible to attain the same effect of SS460 peening with SS330 by altering the velocity of peening?

May I look forward to your valuable suggestions? Kindly help.

Jack Champaigne (Dr. Peener)
Editor The Shot Peener
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
When you substitute to the smaller shot size you will have to increase the velocity of the shot to maintain your results. Be sure you achieve the same peening intensity as confirmed by Almen strip saturation curves.

Jack Champaigne (Dr. Peener)
Editor The Shot Peener
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Peener:
Dear Mr. Champaigne,

Seasons Greetings to you.

I work for one of the truck majors in India. Our scope in shotpeening is limited to engine Connecting Rods. The design is to peen using SS460 shots.

Due to process constraints, we are looking forward to peen ConRods with SS330 shots. Is this right in the first place?

I remember to have read an article in MFN Journal (which I failed to preserve) that the depth of compressive stress is related to the shot size, owing to the mass and the resultant velocity. If you could clarify on this, it will help us to tide over the crisis of capacity constraint.

Alternatively, is it possible to attain the same effect of SS460 peening with SS330 by altering the velocity of peening?

May I look forward to your valuable suggestions? Kindly help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.