Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1520 03/01/21 08:24 PM
OP Offline
I'm asking this question on behalf of a recent MRO / FAA repair facility that called me.

They're setting up a small peening machine with glass bead as the media. They've contacted a few distributors and was told that finding glass bead that meets AMS-2431/6 is difficult and other MRO facilities in the region use MIL-PRF-9954D glass bead as an acceptable substitute.

Does anyone have any knowledge/thoughts on this?

Dave Barkley
EI SPT Director, Peening Preceptor & Product Engineer
Online Content
I would say that these specifications are NOT interchangeable without agreement from the cognizant engineering organization.

Here are just a few differences:

1. The size designation are different
2. Silicon content no less than 62% in the MIL and not less than 67% in AMS.
3. The sample size is approximately 60 drams in the AMS and varies with size in the MIL spec from 100 grams to 25.

I would suggest this MRO / FAA repair facility contact a manufacturer of glass beads such as Potters https://www.pottersindustries.com/micro-glass-beads/
I'm sure they can tell them who their local distributor is.

V
V
Hi Dave and Walter.

These old Glass bead sizes can be a real pain at times.

You may well have solved this problem, but if not, you may want to try Hodge Clemco as my contact ([email protected]) tells me they can supply all AGB- sizes to meet AMS2431/6.

The typical Silicon content is 73% and never less than 67% so that all looks good. Contact details: [email protected]

I can't imagine the varying sample size will be an issue as it's the percentages of those samples that are critical values.

Hope this helps.

Very Old Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.