Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Hamdy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Presently I'm using computerized shot peening machine to shot peen aircraft parts(mostly aircraft rotate parts). Anyone who wishes to exchange ideas or perhaps needs advise in regards to shot peen using computerized shot peening machine do let me know. Hamdy. Email: [email protected]

M
M
Just purchased two new computerized shot peen machines. It is my responsibility to optimize these machines. One is called a three cube or tumble blast and the other a skew roll from Goff.

Currently using CCW Rc55-60 shot from Premier Shot Company and have purchased S270 cast shot because the cut wire shot is tearing up the machines very quickly.

Our almen strip readings specification is .009-.016 and currently we are making adjustments and looking for optimal time standards and part quality. Currently using a 2 minute tumble blast cycle for all parts ran in machine regardless of diameter. Looking at the load size by weight vs number of pieces.

Any information you have would be helpful. Thanks.

me

I have a couple of questions. First what part of the machine is tearing up? Secondly why do you think S-270 won't do the same thing? Are you positive you have CCW not CW shot? Also how do you verify the almen intensity in a batch process? I would think your load size should be based on volume.

H
Hamdy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
michelle, I really wanna help. But first please make me understand you.

You were saying that the conditioned cut wire is tearing up your machine. What do you mean by that?
- it is the reject amount of the c.cut wire is unacceptable(too much)?
- or may be the c. cut wire is tearing your seive(method of screening the shot size in order to achieve optimum shot size acceptance. There is a standard of matching sieves size configuration corresponds to various shot sizes.
- or perhaps, the CCW RC-55-60 is hampering your nozzels or Guns or whatever you called it while releasing the media.
_Finally, program/software problem?

In regards to almen strip reading. Its all depends on types of media used and the parameter you apply to do the shot peening, such as the nozzle to part distance, air pressure, flow, rotation, cycle(time), shot types/sizes etc..
Since you are using computer aided machine, I wonder whether you are using a software to measure saturation curve? Hamdy.

M
M
The new shot is S170 cast shot. Have not tried any yet. We used to use it about 6-7 years ago.

Yes I'm sure about the CCW 55-60 is conditioned.

1. The part of the machine that is tearing up is the blast wheel blades and the interier of the blast cabinet of the skew roll.

2. Don't believe that it is a software problem. The manufacturer came in today to make warranty repairs to the leaks on both machines.

3. How do you use software to measure saturation curve?

4. Thanks for your responses. Looking forward to getting more information.

Thanks!
Michelle

H
Hamdy Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Michelle, its really surprise me how your machine could be teared by the blasting shot.
My machine cabinet is fully covered with thick rubber, though I do have problem with the mirror, place where I need to view my peening operation. Now I solved the problem by expertly program my nozzle/s movement specifically around the part and avoid blasting other area of the cabinet.

Your query on measuring saturation by using software.
We bought our machine from Wheelabrator Sisson Lehmann in France. One of the machine options is a programable software to measure saturation curve.
This is how it works:
First I create a program to move the nozzle/s
in whatever axis movement i.e vertical,horizontal,rotation etc..towards the part that needs to be peened.

Then I include all the parameters i.e the types of media used, preassure,flow,speed of table rotation and "estimation cycle time"i.e
Feed rate of 50 mm minute per second,acting as 1 cycle.

Remove the part and place the almen strip position that simulate the part position.

Run the machine. In this example I used base of Feed rate 50 mm minute per second is 1 cycle.

Remove the almen strip and measure the arc height. Let say I achive 8A intensity(0.0008inches).

Go to the software option and include the inputs i.e 1x cycle & Intensity = 8A.

Now double the cycle by editing the Feed rate to 25mm minute per second. Again include 2x cycle & Intensity =....

Then the third point which is usually required 4x cycle & Intensity=...

Also include variations such as 10% increase in arc height and coverage level you wish such as 100% coverage.

Run the software and a graph of saturation curve will appear & information of saturation point,and time needs to achive
saturation will be provided to cover 100% coverage.
The software will also inform you when the saturation point is out.
Hamdy.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.