Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Media Size sieve problems

Dennis Zeilstra has more questions on sieves used for media size analysis. Click the link to see his e-mail message.

AMS 2431B Peening Media General Requirements
Section 3.3.4 States Size shall be determined in accordance with ASTM E 11, ASTM B 214.

We are only concerned with ASTM B 214 for this discussion.

ASTM B 214 Standard Test Method for Sieve Analysis of Metal Powders
Section 5.2 Sieve Shaker.
“The number of rotations per minute shall be between 270 and 300. The number of taps per minute shall be between 140 and 160.

AMS 2431/1 & /2 Section 3.9.1 Size Screening Test
“The rotating speed shall be 275-295 RPM and the tapping speed shall be 145 to 160 taps per minute.”

It seems to me that section 3.9.1 of AMS 2341/1, /2 needs to be revised.
I would like to see the wording changed to:
"The size of shot, specified in 3.8, shall be determined in accordance with ASTM B 214.”

No further verbiage is required. As it stands now AMS 2431 and AMS 2431/1, /2 are in conflict.

ASTM B214 is Standard Test Method whereas the AMS 2431 series are Media Specifications. In my opinion only the requirements of the media should be detailed here. The methods of verification for each requirement should be called out by a specific Standard Test Method.

D
D
Walter, I agree that AMS 2431 and AMS 2431/1, /2 are in conflict. There is an even more conflicting situation in AMS 2431/6 for glass beads, since in the latest revision (rev C) the size classification requirement still refers to ASTM D1214. This D1214 specifies a hand sieving method! (machine sieving is allowed, but hand sieving is the basis)

I also think these conflicting requirements need to be resolved. However simply referring to ASTM B214 doesn't solve the problems that I pointed out in my email and in the specifications forum, it only shifts the problem to ASTM.

Edit:
Walter, I'm wondering what your opinion is on some of the questions that I posted in my email. Could you please share your opinion with us about the following points:

I) Why would machines with different rotating and tapping characteristics give not give good sieving results?

II) What is your opinion about the mismatch between practice and specification? (given the specified tolerances, no manufacturer guarantees compliance with the specs)

III) SAE J444 and AMS 2430 do not specify characteristics like amplitude or tapping force. We feel that such kinds of characteristics can be relevant too for the sieving result. What is your opinion on this?

D
D
As I mentioned in a previous post we currently have a Duratap sieving machine. We calibrated it and it runs with 265 rpm and 147 taps per minute. Strictly speaking the rpm is too slow and is neither compliant with SAE J444 nor with ASTM B214. The manufacturer tested a different sheave, but didn't manage to get the machine compliant.

So, to ensure that we are strictly compliant with NADCAP regulations, we bought a Tyler RX-29 Ro-tap. This gives us the opportunity to compare test results of these two machines. We tested it with ASR 170 per AMS 2431/1 specifications (100 g; 10 min) and this gave the following results:
Code:
Sieve     |  Duratap      |  Tyler
------------------------------------
25        |   0.0 g       |   0.0 g
30        |   0.1 g       |   0.3 g
35        |  26.9 g       |  30.7 g
40        |  61.7 g       |  60.1 g
45        |  11.3 g       |   8.9 g
------------------------------------
Although the differences are not large, it can be concluded that the Duratap is actually a bit more efficient. That is, the shot better flows through the sieves: in the Duratap all larger sieves (30-40) have less shot on them, while the smallest sieve (45) has more shot on it.

The difference can be explained by the machine layout. The duratap's tapping arm is both longer and heavier. This arm is punched upwards by a shaft. On both machines this arm is placed at 95 m from the tapping arm hinge and both shafts have the same upward deflection. However due to the different tapping arm lengths the maximum tapping arm height above the sieve stack cover is only 30 mm, while on the Duratap this is 45 mm. Combined with the heavier tapping arm this results in a higher tapping force on the Duratap. This confirms our expectation that tapping force and revolution amplitude are important characteristics as well.

Ironically, we can now conclude that with the Tyler Rotap we are fully compliant with J444, but the sieving results are actually slightly worse.

What does this mean for the actual shot peening process? With the Tyler a shot mix has to consist of slightly more small particles to be acceptable, because otherwise too much particles will be captured on sieve 30 and 35. A mix with more small particles will give slightly lower intensity when other peening parameters are kept constant.
In this particular example the cummelative weight on sieve 35 has to be less than 50 g. The cummelative weight on sieve 35 as measured with the Tyler is approx 15% higher than when measured with the Duratap. Extrapolating, when a mix is just within limits as measured on the Tyler it will consist of approx 15% less big particles than a mix that is just withing limits as measured on the duratap. This may have a significant effect on the peening intensity!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Sponsored by Electronics Inc. © 2024 Electronics Inc. All Rights Reserved.