Q1. Modern technology can be employed in test procedures. My own technique involves using a small spoon to feed a shot sample into a frame that has been glued to a glass slide. The amount fed in is just less than is needed to form a monolayer. An SLR digital camera is then used to take a date-stamped photograph of the sample - illuminated from below by a light box. This is repeated twice - to give the required three samples. The three digital images are then transferred to a computer program (CorelDraw in my case). The images are cropped so that approximately 100 particles are on view. Note that the specification requires APPROXIMATELY 100. The images are then examined to establish whether or not the specified percentage of 'spherical' particles are present. Estimating 100 particles is simplified by counting the number of particles that intersect the borders of the cropped image. With a 3 to 2 aspect ratio of a camera's image you only need to establish that 12 to 14 particles intersect the longer side of the image. With practice this whole procedure is very quick. I do however also use image analysis computer programs to assess both shape and size of the sample particles.
Q2. The answer to this question can be found on page 30 of a The Shot Peener article - Fall 2012 ("Satisfactory Peening Intensity Curves"). The Type II curve is only allowed for the defined "Spopecial Cases". Generally only one type of curve is allowed.