Thank you Walter.

To answer you above question: : Are you designing a part and looking to come up with the proper intensity range or are someone who is performing the shot peen processing of a part?

I am the process engineer not the product engineer. I am working with a drawing requirement “peen to intensity of 10N”. There is no upper limit set so AMS2430 3.11.1 becomes very important to me and the cost incurred to maintain the process inside a very tight N tolerance zone relative to the tolerance zone that would be set if my drawing said peen to intensity 4A.. I know… I know… but Forgive me once again but 10N “converts” to 3.3A, an intensity very close to 4A. Our 10N requirement straddles the desired high limit of the N strip and the low limit of the A strip in fact.

Some product Engineers may be relying on this spec to set their upper boundaries for them. I am not saying they are or that this is right or wrong but it may be happening. They may be thinking that the 3N tolerance zone is indicative of peening process capability and is easily maintained at the upper limits of the N scale so they let the spec set it.

My other thought goes back to the manufacturing process of A strips and N strips. We are using the high precision 1S strips. I would think the strip manufacturing tolerances for things like thickness, hardness, modulus of elasticity etc… would be similar or identical in the A 1S strip and the N 1S strip. The problem is that the N strip may magnify the effects of those manufacturing tolerance fluctuations 3 times more than the A strip, thus the reason we see N strips drift significantly from time to time and the industry perceiving them as highly “sensitive”.

Thanks again

Last edited by Slyder; 03/28/22 04:00 AM. Reason: Clarification of point

Slyder