Walter, I agree that AMS 2431 and AMS 2431/1, /2 are in conflict. There is an even more conflicting situation in AMS 2431/6 for glass beads, since in the latest revision (rev C) the size classification requirement still refers to ASTM D1214. This D1214 specifies a hand sieving method! (machine sieving is allowed, but hand sieving is the basis)

I also think these conflicting requirements need to be resolved. However simply referring to ASTM B214 doesn't solve the problems that I pointed out in my email and in the specifications forum, it only shifts the problem to ASTM.

Edit:
Walter, I'm wondering what your opinion is on some of the questions that I posted in my email. Could you please share your opinion with us about the following points:

I) Why would machines with different rotating and tapping characteristics give not give good sieving results?

II) What is your opinion about the mismatch between practice and specification? (given the specified tolerances, no manufacturer guarantees compliance with the specs)

III) SAE J444 and AMS 2430 do not specify characteristics like amplitude or tapping force. We feel that such kinds of characteristics can be relevant too for the sieving result. What is your opinion on this?