Wayne,

You are correct when you state "there is a lot of room for interpretation in the AMS-S-13165".

I have also heard the argument at SAE AMEC meetings that there is no mention of manual peening not being allowed.

I don't mean to be rude but this logic is flawed and dangerous. At what point would the specification stop listing things that were not permitted? Example: The specification does not say that I can't use grit to peen the part. But we all know you would never do such a thing. The intent of the specifation is to tell the user what must be used it is not a suggestion.

6.5 "special nozzle equipment"
It is supposed to mean a custom nozzle specially designed to peen the hard to reach area. i.e. a deflector tip nozzle. If a part can be peened manually it certainly can be peened automatically, it’s just a matter of having the proper equipment.

We also use manual peening where it is permitted by specification, drawing or contract. Normally we use it on local area re-worked parts but not always.

You wrote "In those cases the new AMS2430 would require notifying the customer in each case and having them approve the techniques employed, I assume?"

That's exactly right. However, a much simpler way of doing it would be to write one Quality Assurance Procedure / Work Instruction that states you take exception to section xxxx in specification xxx and will be using manual peening in difficult to reach areas in lieu of automated peening. Then have each of your customers sign the document on an as needed basis.

You should look into becoming an AMEC member. I belive you can get started by going to this link.
http://www.sae.org/standardsdev/participationReq.htm Or Contact Jack the host of this site.

The more users we have involved the better the Shot Peening Industy will be.

Hope that helps,

-Walter Beach
Peening Technologies
Hydro Honing