Wow! It is great to hear all this input! Thank you all very much.
With regard to working within the frozen process: We cannot alter the CNC programs because 1) Our programs cannot be changed at all without authorization (even within the +/- 10 psi) 2) The frozen process documentation would have to be altered and that requires alot of red tape. Correct, that frozen plans should not have been made with new shot-I agree 100%. Hind sight is indeed 20/20. I belive this is the root of our problem. With regard to the shot: It is being delivered and screened and checked with the latest technology (computerized eveverything). The machines have built-in screen classifiers and do an excellent job of keeping the shot free from bad particles. My thinking is that new cast steel shot has numerous pieces with nodules stuck to them, hollow pieces that look like spherical welding slag, and twins. As the pieces impact a work surface the nodules break off, the twins separate, and the pieces work harden, the intesity climbs. Like a baseball covered with clumps of mud not having as much impact energy as a clean ball. The hoppers are stocked with an extra 1-200 lbs at all times so the machine can grab some if it needs it. However it never grabs more than about 100 lbs at a time so we should never have to worry about too much new shot being added and more conditioning needed.
The specs we use all call for cast steel shot and getting the specs changed to anything else is not possible. Yes, we are without any wiggle room as you all can see. We have been forced to alter the frozen plans here and there but that is a process.