Surface Heating Caused by Peening

Author:  Dr. David Kirk, Coventry University, U.K.
Source:  The Shot Peener magazine, Vol 17 / Issue 3, Summer 2003
Doc ID:  2003065
Year of Publication:  2003
Introduction Shot particles striking a component's surface lose part of their kinetic energy to that surface. This loss of impact energy is to be welcomed. If no energy were lost then the peening would have been completely useless. Approximately 10% of the energy absorbed by impact with the surface is translated into the stored energy of cold work. The remaining 90% is converted into heat energy. This follows the 'Law of Conservation of Energy' which states that "energy cannot be lost - it can only be converted into other forms of energy". The proportion of shot energy that is absorbed on impact is governed by the coefficient of restitution.

Download PDF